How to grow potatoes in a barrel
Growing potatoes is easy, but can take up a lot of space in your veggie beds. Here is a great way to grow TONS of potatoes in a small area. This can be done on patios or on decks in condos.
You will need:
- Plastic Barrel or Metal Oil Drum (cleaned)
- Some Bricks
- Seed Potatos
You can usually find plastic barrels free or cheap online. You can also pick them up from U-Brew stores.
1. Using the jigsaw, cut off the top of the barrel.
2. Flip the barrel around and drill drainage holes in the bottom. (You can see I enlisted some help here from my son)
3. Setup the bricks and sit the barrel up on it so that it is level. You don’t want it falling over once it’s full of soil.
4. Fill the first 1/4 of the barrel with soil. Then plant the seed potatoes a couple of inches into the soil so that they are covered. I put 6 in per barrel. Water and let them grow!
5. Once the plant grows, keep filling it up with soil till the barrel is full. The more you cover over the plant, the more the plant grows. The more the plant grows, the more Potatoes you get!
6. Once the plant dies back, the potatoes are ready. Tip the barrel over onto a tarp and reap your rewards.